Sunday, December 17, 2017

Disputing Experian Credit Report Errors

You’ve received your credit report from the reporting agency Experian and it’s riddled with errors. Old accounts, incorrect account information, and inaccurate payments histories on your report can negatively affect your ability to open new accounts or get favorable interest rates or even affect your chances of landing a new job.

If you discover errors on your record, you have the right to dispute the information and request a correction. The most efficient way to contest an item is through their online system. If you requested your report online, a dispute button appears next to each item on the report. Simply click on the button, and follow the prompts to initiate an investigation; choose a reason for your query from the drop-down menu on the page, and provide a short explanation in the comment box if necessary. If you submit your correction request online, you can follow-up on the status on the website, and you’ll receive the results of the investigation via e-mail.

If you have a paper copy of your report, you can challenge items online or via mail. Visit the company site and enter your report number, found near your name on the printed copy, and follow the prompts to dispute individual items.

Disputing an item by mail might be a more effective choice if you have specific evidence that supports your claim, such as a letter indicating that your account has been settled or paid. If you have evidence, send a letter (use the address on your report) that includes your report number, and an explanation of why you think the item should be corrected. Be as detailed as possible; including a copy of the report with the item in question highlighted is helpful. Include copies not originals of your supporting evidence, and send the letter via certified mail.

Once you request an investigation, the bureau immediately sends the details to the lender on the report. The creditor than has 30 days (21 if you live in Maine) to respond. If they agree that the information is incorrect, Experian will adjust your report accordingly. If they do not respond within the legal timeframe, the bureau will either remove the item in question, or update it per your request. You will always receive a report of the results of an investigation.

If the creditor disagrees with your argument, and they do not adjust the information on your report, you have several options. If you filed online, and have additional evidence to submit, mail the evidence with a letter stating your case to the reporting agency. You can also contact the lender directly and ask them to update their records and correct the report to the bureau. In some cases, if you have strong supporting evidence for your claim and the company refuses to correct the records, you may need to enlist legal help.

Keep in mind that Experian will never remove accurate information. And while companies you do business with regularly send information to all of the reporting agencies, it can take several weeks or months for your updated account history to show up on the report. Regularly monitor the report after receiving your investigation results to ensure that it is up-to-date and accurate.

For a free credit consultation call 1-888-585-3902 or to learn more about how to dispute experian and remove negative items on your report or for info about credit repair attorneys and how they can help in this process visit us.

Find More Experian Articles


Tags: , , , ,

About Simple Magazine

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Learn more »
Help & Support

Quam velit dapibus quam, ornare suscipit tortor nisl ut tellus.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) »
Get in touch

Phone: +46 7152 5412

Online contact form »