Friday, October 20, 2017
 

Latest Free Credit Report News

Image from page 118 of “Old Boston taverns and tavern clubs” (1917)
free credit report
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: oldbostontavernso00drak
Title: Old Boston taverns and tavern clubs
Year: 1917 (1910s)
Authors: Drake, Samuel Adams, 1833-1905 Watkins, Walter Kendall, 1855-1934
Subjects: Taverns (Inns) — Massachusetts Boston Clubs — Massachusetts Boston Boston (Mass.) — Social life and customs
Publisher: Boston, W. A. Butterfield
Contributing Library: New York Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
ase, and inside isstill to be seen the cylindrical piece of iron which,when heated, kept the delectable liquid contents of theurn hot until imbibed by the frequenters of the tavern.The Green Dragon Tavern site, now occupied by abusiness structure, is OAvned by the St. Andrews Lodgeof Free Masons of Boston, and at a recent gathering ofthe Lodge on St. Andrews Day the urn was exhibitedto the assembled brethren. When the contents of the tavern were sold, the urnwas bought by Mrs. Elizabeth Harrington, who thenkept a famous boarding house on Pearl Street, in abuilding owned by the Q.uincy family. In 1847 thehouse was razed and replaced by the Quincy Block,and Mrs. Harrington removed to High Street andfrom there to Chauncey Place. Some of the prominentmen of Boston boarded with her for many years. Ather death the urn was given to her daughter, Mrs.John R. Bradford, and it has now been presented tothe Society by Miss Phebe C. Bradford of Boston,granddaughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Harrington. 88

Text Appearing After Image:
SCHOOU Q5.J^^^^^) ST JW2 6Jithcrtorx, ffoJUL^h, Q POP455OO n BQ <5 n« Mo O o w ID ID &J_ 0 o m aId M 02 a 0)(QID a. ID-»3« O ■oa J IDO o oo MEH <1 oo C5Z M o w OS +343 oQ CompUje.dL by Qeorqe, l,<xmo, tfi THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY A3TOR, LrrOXilLDilN FOUNDATIONS IX. THE HANCOCK TAVERN. As an old landmark the Hancock Tavern is a failure.There was not an old window in the house ; the nailswere Bridgewater nails, the timbers were mill-sawed,and the front of it was of face brick, which were notmade even in 1800. At the time of the Revolution itwas merely a four-room dwelling house of twelve win-dows, and the first license ever given to it as an innwas in 1790. The building recently demolished waserected during the years 1807 to 1812. With the above words, Edward W. McGlenen, cityregistrar, effectually settled the question June 3,1903, ata meeting of the New England Historic GenealogicalSociety, as to the widely credited report that it was inthe Hancock Tavern^ which fo

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

 

Tags: , , , ,

 
About Simple Magazine

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Learn more »
Help & Support

Quam velit dapibus quam, ornare suscipit tortor nisl ut tellus.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) »
Get in touch

Phone: +46 7152 5412
Email: info@simplemagazine.com

Online contact form »